Many Sellers feel they don’t need an attorney. A Buyer, armed by their attorney could potentially take advantage of your transaction during each stage of the negotiation process. There will be a barrier between you and the Buyer’s attorney through your realtor, who is not licensed to practice law and has a significant check waiting for them at the end of the day. It’s important to build out your team properly to include your agent and your attorney so that during negotiations, your attorney can advocate for you unbiased and with strategic, technical and legal knowledge.
Because we represent both buyers and sellers, we have a lot of experience in solving problems in a way that will help your home sale succeed. The most important aspect of Selling your home in New Jersey is the negotiations you have with the Buyer during the various stages of the transaction. Many Buyer Attorneys will try to push for biased terms for their clients and you need an attorney on your side who will not give in to the Buyers demands for the sake of concluding negotiations quickly.
We spend a lot of time working with our sellers to make sure that what you’re agreeing to during each stage of the transaction is fair and reasonable and comfortable.
Selling your home requires patience, clarity and calmness. We will be there to provide all of the three and then some to you while we guide you through the negotiations.
Selling also requires closing up of any liens or judgments on the property so that you can deliver clear title. Our office will work closely with you to help you get title ready for closing. The most common lien sellers have is their current mortgage.
You will need to provide a municipal certificate from the town authorizing resale of the property (either a smoke certificate or certificate of occupancy). We will help you and your agent if you’re using one to apply for the proper certification with the town.
Steps for home selling
- Accept an Offer from a Buyer
- Contact our office – Enter and Conclude Attorney Review
- Our office will ensure the buyers submit their deposit, schedule their inspections, order title and begin working towards their deadline to obtain their mortgage commitment.
- Work with your agent to obtain a certificate of occupancy / smoke certificate
- Provide us your title insurance policy from when you purchased the home
- Provide us payoff statements for any liens or judgements
- Our office will negotiate the buyers’ inspection requests with you and on your behalf to obtain a successful result for you.
- We will ensure the Buyer obtains their mortgage commitment and title commitment and that they are clear to close
- We will draft the documents you need to sign to transfer the property for you and send them to you to have them executed
- You can close 100% virtually by overnighting these documents as the docs are needed, but your presence is not required for closing.
- Once closing is completed we will confirm you receive your proceeds and tighten up any loose ends!